MAKE MONEY MATTER
A five hour interactive financial education session. Can be held in one session, or individual modules, as preferred. Worksheets and other useful tools included.
Module #1: Smart about Money
- Role of money
- Road of life (marriage, divorce, educating children, etc)
- Your money personality
- Balancing today and tomorrow
- Understanding needs vs wants
- The spending frenzy – who and what is competing for our money
Module #2: Creating your designer life
- How money fits in to the four pillars of life
- Setting goals
- Spending wisely
- Eliminating money wasters
- Paying yourself first
- Drawing up a plan
- Protecting your wealth
Module #3: Dealing with Debt
- We are not alone in the debt pool
- Consumer protection
- Different types of credit and the cost of debt
- The cost of debt
- Good debt and bad debt
- Signs of debt distress
- Eliminating debt
- Debt consolidation and debt counseling
- What to do when you have to borrow money
Module #4: Retirement planning
- Why retirement is a problem in South Africa?
- The mistakes people make
- How much do we need?
- When should we start?
- What is the best way to ensure we have enough?
- What government initiatives are in place to help us in our planning
Module #5: The road to rich
- Understanding the terminology of investments
- Principles of investing
- Ponzi schemes
- Cost of delay
- Setting goals
- Different types of investments and how to access them (equities, property, bonds, money market, alternative investments)
- The relative returns of various investments
- Self investor or get advice?
Comments from past delegates:
“The car story is an eye opener.”
“Everything so well put together. Sequential, relevant, interesting.”
“The session helped me to get a better understanding of how to budget with my income.”
“This session has been a good eye-opener. Knowledge that was shared can be used to plan correctly for my future.”
“The figures are a good reality check.”